All Saints' Episcopal Church and Saint George's Chapel, Rehoboth Beach, Delaware

About
All Saints’
Church

photo: All Saints Episcopal Church, Rehoboth Beach, DelawareAll Saints' Church, one of two Episcopal churches in the Episcopal Parish of All Saints' Church & St. George's Chapel, is located on Olive Avenue, only yards away from the ocean. It is the only church in Rehoboth Beach on its original site and maintaining its original design. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places it was constructed in the 1890s to meet the needs of a growing number of Episcopalians migrating to the area. Initially Rehoboth was one of many seaside campgrounds established by Methodists on the Delmarva Peninsula. (The home of Methodism is located about thirty miles north of Rehoboth at Barratt's Chapel.)

The building was not without changes. Fires in 1938 and 1943 occasioned repairs to the original structure. The belfry and All Souls' Chapel were added in 1943. The Parish Hall and connecting office corridor were added in 1947 and recently enlarged and updated in 2001.

During the early years, services were held during the summer months, and clergy were supplied through a variety of arrangements, often in combination with St. Peter's Episcopal Church in Lewes, five miles to the north. It was not until 1945 that All Saints' became a year-round parish recognized by the Diocese of Delaware. The first full-time rectors stayed for short periods. From 1951 through August of 2001, All Saints' was served by only two rectors, Richard Bailey and James Manion. The present rector, Max J. Wolf arrived in September of 2001.

Father Bailey's influence was strong in building the church community, the direction of liturgy, and establishing many of the groups and events that still define the community today. Father Manion, arriving in 1981, continued, supported and enhanced many of these efforts, particularly encouraging the strong All Saints' tradition of outreach into the community. Father Max has continued and expanded this outreach into many new sectors of the community. The results have been a steady growth in parishioners attending both All Saints' church and St. George's Chapel on a year-round basis.

 

About
St. George’s
Chapel

Photo: Saint Georges ChapelThe original country chapel was built in 1719 to accommodate the needs of farmers and plantation owners who lived in the outskirts of the town of Lewes, Delaware. Destroyed by fire in 1792, the chapel was rebuilt in 1794 in the early Federal style.

After the fire, the new structure was built of bricks, unusual for the period, and the bricks were fired on the spot. The chapel was redesigned in 1850 and remodeled again in 1882 in a Victorian Gothic style. In 1966, an extensive restoration brought the building back to its original design and appearance.

The old parish register and original Book of Common Prayer still exist and are brought out for special services such as Heritage Sunday when parishioners attend in period costume.

St. George's has built a new parish hall, has begun a Sunday School program and now offers two services during the summer months.

The Future

Click here to see what's on the schedule for the next few months.